The following Checklist should help guide you on the steps to Buying your property. Understanding these steps will not only make the Buying process smoother for you, it will help eliminate unnecessary stress from being uninformed.
- Identify why you want/need to buy.
- Identify the areas that you will not purchase.
- Begin identifying your MUST HAVE items for the property you want to buy.
- List out what is important to you about the agent you work with.
- Be honest about your time frame to buy with agents you speak with. Don't work with the ones that push you to make a decision tomorrow.
- Get Pre-Qualified with a lender so you're not shopping outside of your budget or missing out on a property you could buy.
- Establish a budget for any repairs you may need to make. This will help you determine if you can buy a fixer upper or if you need a home that is move-in ready.
- Be vigilant of large purchases you are considering outside of your home right now. These can affect your cash on hand and your financing options.
- Consult with you lender abot any aditional lines of credit you are considering (credit cards, equity lines, refiance of other properties, etc). These can affect your ability to finance.
- Choose an agent that has a track record of helping buyers like you to get the best price available.
- Drive through any neighborhood you're considering BEFORE you schedule a showing. There's no reason to look at a nice home in a neighborhood you won't buy in.
- Make sure you and your agent are on the same page and narrow down your choices.
- Don't go on a marathon showing trips. Looking at more than 3-5 homes at a time is VERY CONFUSING. That means you and/or your agent are not clear on what you are looking for.
- Set up the search criteria to send you new listings in the areas you're considering. Continue to modify the search until it's sending exactly what you're looking for.
- Sign a buyer's agency agreement so you know that the agent is committed to find what you're looking for and they put you on their CLIENT LIST.
- Be prepared to write an offer if you find the perfect property
Buying In The Next 6 Months